|Dixon Sebree Providence Clay Slaughters Wheatcroft Blackford Poole Onton|
Onton, with recently discontinued post office, is centered at the junction of KY 147 and 370, 13 miles east of Dixon.
The community was first called Orton for an early family, but another Orton in Kentucky compelled the adoption of the Onton for the post office established on September 28, 1882, with Franklin P. Tilford, postmaster.
Robert M. Rennick's Kentucky Place Names
"The second Onton School was built in 1880. It was located on what is now the B.D. Luck Road.
For several years this was a one-room building, but another was later added, with Grades One through Four taught in what was commonly called the "little room." Grades Five through Eight were in the "big room."
This building was used for thirty-nine years, not only as a means of getting an education, but also for all community affairs."
Local landmarks include Brazzel Bridge, Coffman Bridge, Gravel Ford Bridge, Gresham Bridge, Sebree Springs Park, Vicker Bridge, Wyman Lake.
Festivals & Events
Purple Opry House - Sebree
Dogwood Valley Trading Post - Clay
Places of Interest
Warner Historic Museum -
Collection of photography, memorabilia, written & oral history. 500 S Broadway
St., Providence 270-667-5022
Sports & Outdoors
© 2012 Webster County Fiscal Court, Dixon, Kentucky 42409 270-639-5042