|Dixon Sebree Providence Clay Slaughters Wheatcroft Blackford Poole Onton|
Slaughters lies just west of US 41 and 9 1/2 miles east of Dixon. According to local tradition, it was named for Gustavus G. Slaughter, local storekeeper, who in 1855 won the right to name the new town and post office in a card game with his rival, blacksmith Frederick W. Stiman.
The post office was established as Slaughtersville on January 29, 1856, with Henry A. Prater, postmaster. Slaughter himself served as postmaster from 1860 to 1865 and was succeeded by Stiman.
Though the post office was renamed Slaughters in 1915, the town remained Slaughtersville from its incorporation in 1861 until 1967 when the Board on Geographic Names reversed an earlier decision and conformed to common usage and the present name of the post office.
Robert M. Rennick's Kentucky Place Names
(1987) "Dictionary of Places: Slaughters", Encyclopedia of Kentucky. New York, New York: Somerset Publishers. ISBN 0403099811.
Festivals & Events
Purple Opry House - Sebree
Dogwood Valley Trading Post - Clay
Places of Interest
Warner Historic Museum -
Collection of photography, memorabilia, written & oral history. 500 S Broadway
St., Providence 270-667-5022
Sports & Outdoors
© 2012 Webster County Fiscal Court, Dixon, Kentucky 42409 270-639-5042